Thursday, October 15, 2009

Migraine Pt 1


I thought I'd tell you about what I live with.
I see a dot. It's bright and I know a migraine is about to start. My only defence is two pain killers to avoid the inevitable headache. They won't stop it but they might shorten it by a day or two.
Next the dots start to grow. They look like TV static but they're very short lines and not dots. This goes on for twenty minutes to half an hour obscuring my vision. I once became totally blind.
When the dots go the headache tries it's best to disable me. If I've missed the tablets I'm a mess. Everything is a problem. The pain is physical but also mental. Things like sounds make a virtual lump inside my head hurt. I felt the lump today. Imagine four or five cubes randomly stuck together with their cornets sticking into your brain and skull. That's the lump. If I've taken the tablets the lump is almost non existant but I get a dull ache instead. After thirty years I can live with that. I don't like it but it's better than the lump.

No comments: