Thursday, January 03, 2013

What Do I Know


This is my last full day in Berlin.
I'm glad I took some time to visit this city. It's certainly not my favourite place in the world. What I do love it for is its history. This place holds a lot of secrets about the past and has many to give up in the future. Not until long after I'm dead and gone will anyone know the full extent of what has happened here and at that point the full extent will still be riddled with holes like a Swiss cheese.
Berlin has made me think about people more. About how we perceive and treat each other. In my old age I've become more cynical about how those in power abuse their position. I've come to learn that anyone at any level with any kind of control over anyone can and probably will, at some stage, abuse that power.
And for what? Are we genetically trying to become the alpha male or female. Is it built into our DNA that we should be on the highest branch looking down. I don't know the answer to that question.
What I do know is that when you are a victim of those in authority you generally have no easy way to reply or seek justice.
There are so many victims in this world that it would be impossible to count them all. The majority will never even be recognised as victims because the perpetrators of the injustices will have covered their tracks too well.
It seems to me that to be successful and to gain and attain power then one is going to have to break a few bones while climbing over those that will be less successful in their journey to the top of the ladder.
If that's the case then I'm happy being an abject failure.

No comments: