Saturday, February 16, 2019

Atomic Latex


I absolutely love text editors.
I'm easily distracted when it comes to the simple task of inputting text into a document. Linux offers a plethora of text editors. From Nano to Atom, I love them all.

It's not so long ago that I discovered Atom. I won't explain its capabilities here, you probably have better things to do with the rest of your life. What it is, is extensible. I use it for simple .txt files, python, markdown and now Latex.
Latex (check online for pronucciation) is a way of creating professional .pdf files. It uses a it's own syntax for layout but its power comes from the fact that it is ideal for mathematical and scientific papers. This is down to its ability to correctly render equations.
I'm not going to be writing anything so complicated soon but I will need the capability as I continue my search for some kind of accessible way to create random numbers or at least pseudo random numbers.
I have a calculator app that will let me enter Latex syntax equations. I'm looking into whether actual programmable calculators have the same option.

In the meantime I will learn the Latex syntax and try and produce something worth looking at while my mathematics education steers me to more complex calculations.
It's all good fun even if I don't understand completely what I'm doing.
My destination is a long way away but the journey of learning is what I intend to enjoy. Besides I only have to understand what is going to be useful to me and from this angle that isn't a lot.
However I do understand that looks are deceptive.

No comments: