Thursday, May 06, 2010

Time To Say No

This is the new shop at the end of my road.
They've spent money on doing the place up and it certainly looks better than it did. The thing is that they want to extend the previous alcohol licence to 7am - 4am Monday - Sunday, yup, everyday. That in the middle of a residential area.
I've seen the effect that these licences have had on what was a simple grocery store in the past, including this shop. When they started selling alcohol a few years ago it attracted it's fair share of drunks and young people who may or may not have been old enough to buy alcohol, hard to say. The other thing is that if people drive there then there's nowhere to park and the shop is on a blind bend.
I've talked to my local councillor who is behind residents who don't want a shop selling alcohol through the night. I'm going to make a representation against the license and do what I can to stop this happening.
I'll let you know what happens.

No comments: