Monday, January 10, 2011

Kid. Me? Not


Get a load of him!
That's an eighteen year old me. I didn't get my first bicycle until I was sixteen. After that you couldn't stop me. These days I walk when I'm not driving. The comfort of the car for this over forty something has overtaken the daily slog to and from work on a trusty two wheeled steed. Cycling safety has never been a problem. I'm quite a defencive cyclist. I always use lights and reflective clothing. I always stop at red lights. I know that some drivers don't care much for cyclists and I know I'm most at risk from other road users especially on dark mornings and dark nights. I know I need eyes in the back of my head.
So why when I'm slowly but surely adding pounds to my weight do I continue to drive to work?
Because I've become lazy, it's that simple. It's because the car is there.
That eighteen year old above who didn't have a car used to cycle sixty miles on a Saturday for fun.
I could learn a thing or two from him.

No comments: