Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pushing My Button


Life could be so simple.
Take for example this morning. I got out of bed and the heating was off. It seemed to be the same problem as last year. I tried to reset the boiler and get it working but to no avail. Luckily the guy who sorted it before was on the other end of the phone and told me to call back when I'd got home. This I did and he talked me through getting it running.
All that needed doing was that a little button needed pressing and that reset something which let the boiler work. The thing is that the button was hidden away inside the case. There is no reason it couldn't have been located on the outside. Its where it is to create work for someone and that work costs.
While I'm all for trades people earning a living I'm against manufacturers creating that work through bad design.
Life could be simple but it isn't.
It needn't be either.

No comments: