Tuesday, February 01, 2011

New MIDI Revolution


It's been a while since I've used MIDI files.
Until recently I hadn't given them any thought at all. Then Chordbot came along and changed everything. It's a fantastic chord sequencing app on my iPhone. I've blogged about it here before. It produces MIDI files which from the last update you can email to yourself. I mailed one last night and dropped it into FL Studio and it worked perfectly. I thought tonight however that I might try something a little different. I mailed a new file to myself and then opened the browser on my PSP. From there I imported the file to my Beaterator folder and as you can see from the picture above it worked.
The keyboard in Beaterator is only 5 octaves and so it missed most of the bass notes out but as the bass notes are the chord root I'll have no problem adding some more. Besides, I am going to mess with the bassline anyway so it works out fine.
My next trick will be to get a Chordbot MIDI file into my RM1x. That'll probably be a bit trickier but it's worth a go.
Here's to the new music writing revolution.

No comments: