Monday, January 28, 2013

Switcheroo


Yes I know. That isn't the most exciting picture in the world.
It isn't even taken very well. There really wasn't much thought went into the composition. In this case it's the details that count. Some are even hidden.
Lets start with the mixer. It's new. I've needed a mixer with more inputs for ages so I bought the Behringer Xenyx X1222USB. I went with Behringer because up until now I've been using one of their Eurorack UB802 mixer's and its been absolutely solid and I got it second hand. It made sense to stick with a brand that I know and trust. The UB802 and the Tascam 424 mkIII that the Xenyx replaces will now both be sold, it's a shame but it's time to move on.
The reason for this new mixer apart from more inputs was it's also a USB mixer. So I get audio out at line level from the USB output. All good so far.
The reason I needed the USB out was to get a signal into my iPad 4 using the USB to Lightning adaptor. You'll be pleased to know it works just fine, no drivers needed. I can now plunder loops and sounds from anything I can plug into the Xenyx including my faithful QY100. I've tried it and its brilliant.
Of course I could have done all this on my PC but the process of recording to sample is so much quicker on the iPad. Add to that virtual MIDI triggering etc and not forgetting everything that Audiobus has to offer I can start making the made-up, mangled and mutated sounds that in the past would have seemed like a chore.
There is one piece of the jigsaw missing at the moment which is down to a delay in the post and I'll show you that in place once it gets here.
Exciting times indeed.

No comments: